Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Traditional Teochew Steamed Egg Cake


Lately I'm in some baking and cooking spree. Unsure what got me into it but I'm definitely very enthusiastic about it! Just a week ago, I had this craze to make my childhood's favourite snack, steamed egg cake, or many in Malaysia and Singapore would be known as "ji dan gao". So here's something to share with you, not typically a secret recipe but it's definitely something my Grandma was proud of me of.

Steamed Egg Cake
adapted from The Little Teochew

Ingredients
220g eggs (equivalent to 4 large eggs)
210g caster sugar (Grandma finds it sweet, so I used 180g instead)
230g cake flour/top flour (I find the finished product a little tough, so I reduced to 200g)
1tsp vanilla extract (substituted with vanilla essence)
6tbsp cream soda/7-Up/Sprite

Methods
1) Whisk the eggs until frothy, then add in sugar bit by bit until well incorporated. Then, add vanilla extract and continue beating until the batter becomes very pale, thick and creamy.

2) Heat up the wok in a gentle boil. If you are using a steamer, preheat it. Meanwhile, line the bamboo steamer/baking tray with baking paper.

3) Fold in flour in thirds, alternating with soda and ending with flour. Stop mixing when there is no streak of flour.

4) Pour the batter into bamboo steamer/baking tray and steam for 30 minutes.

5) Place cake on a cooling rack to cool before serving.

Even Grandma is enjoying them! =)

So what's my verdict after making 4 of these delicious cakes over the weekend? I think they are fabulous but there is more room for improvement! Nevertheless, I will heed to Grandma's advice to beat with hands instead of doing the lazy way with electric mixer. Till then, see you at the next post on I Bake, I Cook! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment